How to Prep Your Home for Sale
Improve Your Curb Appeal
- Give your entry a facelift with either a new coat of paint or a new front door
- Don’t forget to landscape your yard! A well-groomed lawn shows buyers that the home was well taken care of.
- Depending on the climate in your area, add a pop of color by planting flowers.
- Remove any lawn ornaments that you will want to bring with you to your new home.
- Make sure all exterior lights are in working order and replace all outdoor light bulbs.
- Wash all windows (inside and out). You don’t want to take away from a great view with dirty windows!
- Clean out your garage! Consider getting a storage unit to store any non-essential items.
- Replace a worn out welcome mat to welcome buyers as they view the home.
- Paint or replace the street numbers on the house, making them more visible.
- Power wash any outdoor surfaces to give them a “like new” feel… siding, sidewalks, driveway, etc.
Prep the Inside of Your Home
- Fresh paint and new carpet are the top 2 things you can do to help your home sell faster and for more money.
- Deep clean everything! A clean home will allow buyers to picture themselves in the space. Use a magic eraser on scuff marks, wash walls, air vents, and baseboards. Dust ceiling fans and light fixtures.
- Give every room a purpose – Even if you used it as a bonus room. Giving each room an identity will help buyers.
- Open blinds or curtains and let the light in. Bright rooms feel warm and inviting, dark rooms feel small and gloomy.
- Fix anything that is broken. Buyers will notice and may offer less for your house if repairs are required.
- Declutter. Thinning out your closets and pantries will show how much room is actually available. Remove items off countertops, desks and dressers, and thin out trinkets on bookshelves.
- Organize the kitchen! Store any non-essential, small appliances and clean all surfaces.
- Before your home is shown, empty all trash bins and hide any dirty laundry.
- Make sure all doors open and close smoothly. Fix any squeaks on bedroom or closet doors.
- Replace light bulbs with new ones and make sure all switches work.
If you take advantage of a free Onsite Consultation we can help identify items that will need attention prior to putting your property on the market for sale. We can also provide you with a list of recommended contractors and home service vendors, or assist in coordinating repairs.